Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Rooftop #1

I'll be participating in the Artists of Yardley "100 for 100 Small Works" show this weekend with my latest piece, Rooftop #1. Information about the show is below.

Rooftop #1    Acrylic with cardboard on canvas.    6" x 6"    November 2012

Usually my art is the same process: cutting into the cardboard, peeling away the layers, and then painting on top with acrylics. This show is different. All participating artists were given the same 6" x 6" canvas to work with. While I have painted and showed on canvas before, I thought it was time to try something new.

After finding my subject, an old building I came across, I decided to incorporated scraps of older pieces into the canvas. First step was placing the scraps onto the still wet gesso that covered the canvas. Next, I applied more gesso on top to make sure the cardboard stayed in place. After drying thoroughly, I applied some darker acrylic paint along the "building" part of the canvas with an ink roller to give some more texture to the building. Once that dried, I went about finishing the painting with more acrylic by brush.

Scraps of cardboard from earlier art.

This was fun for me. I liked experimenting with the cardboard scraps on the canvas. It was new, scary, and unknown, but it was exciting. I worked until the wee hours to finish it up last night (thanks The Nerdist podcast!) and glad to say that I'm happy with the end result.

So, come on by, see this piece in person plus the other 99 pieces that are sure to be great. Plus, what a great gift idea, a piece of art by some really creative people, from a fantastic organization (AOY), and at a reasonable price. $100 for each canvas. Come meet some fun people, give your eyes something to feast one, and supports the arts! See you there!





No comments: